Thursday, March 20, 2008

Help Save Olympic Softball

My Story

My name is Jamie Gray. I am a thirteen year old girl who has been dedicated to playing ball since I was five. I learned the basic fundamentals of the game at the Boca Raton YMCA. When I was nine, I joined a recreational ISA fast-pitch softball league in West Boca Raton. What a change that was from Co-Ed baseball! (I loved it..... boys don't cheer!)

After my first season of softball, I tried to go back to playing baseball, and joined the Bucky Dent Baseball summer camp. I played hard and was the only girl on the team! After one week, my coaches named me the MVP of the team, and I was publicly awarded! I beat out "all" the boys my age! It was a great honor.

Then I played my second season of REC league softball. My team was named "Tiger Allie," and was coached by Mike Greenwood. We won the Championship game, and were undefeated in the playoffs! Even though I mostly played in the catcher's position, I am proud to say that I once pitched a one hit/shut out game, and I had 7 home runs during the season! I know my heart is with my "girl" friends, and "fast-pitch softball" is the sport for me.

Travel softball has been tough in the past. I played for the West Boca Diamonds. (10 and younger- B ball) We suffered many losses, but through it all, I never lost sight of my dream. I know that win or lose, I am a team player. My dream is to some day represent my country, and play fast pitch softball for TEAM USA in the World Olympics. I am in training.

A past personal coach, Thomas Macera (first-ever head coach to obtain consecutive national championship titles; - the NAIA National Championship 2004 and the NCAA Division II Championship 2005) told me, "You can do anything, as long as you keep up with practice, work hard on drills and learn." He is a great encourager, motivator, teacher and coach. I look forward to working with him again some day.

With a few prospects for a promising future, I scouted out for a new travel team. I moved up into the 12 year old division, and I knew that finding a team with girls who are as dedicated as I am to this sport would be hard. The talent and competition I have seen at this level has been amazing!
But then the call came through.....

The Caloosa Crush from Boynton Beach, Florida needed a player! I was so excited to try out for the team! Coach Dave and Coach Everett prove to be good leaders and teachers who are strict with positive reinforcement. (just what I need!) I felt I could trust them to guide me, in pursuit of my dream. The girls were friendly and welcomed me. And I knew, with this great combination, I had found my new team!

At first I felt pressure because I thought I had to prove myself and my ability to the team and coaches. I wasn’t playing my best.  But with time, I became more comfortable and relaxed, and my natural ability was able to shine through. Although I am almost the youngest player on the team, I now consider myself one of the strongest players. But that hasn't come easy. I have worked hard and continue to do so every day. I also owe a lot of credit to my coaches who have encouraged and helped me along the way with their great coaching abilities.  As I get older and learn more,  I am also becoming more instinctive. I look forward to all I will be learning this upcoming season playing in the 14U A division. 

Last year I was playing catcher’s position in a 14 and under tournament, (when I was only 12) and I was golden glove, with out a past ball for 4 games! We won the tournament, and when Coach Dave Dishman awarded me a trophy, he called me the “Iron Woman!” I felt so proud to be a part of this team!

We are a GOOD A-team! This past season we won 2 tournaments, and had one second place finish and one 3rd place finish. We finished 5th in the Lake Lytal Florida State A- Division Tournament! We finished 4th in the National FAST tournament. (the only teams we lost to finished first and second in FAST. We were close to winning those games too, only losing by a score of 1-0 in both games!)

This upcoming softball season shows a lot of promise for our team. We are moving up in division from the 12's to the 14's. I just turned 13 the other day, and even though I still qualify to play in the 12 year old division, my team is moving up. And I am going with them! I know that each and every member of the Caloosa Park Crush is dedicated to the sport and gives great effort. We may not always win, but we never give up. I have made friends I hope to keep for a lifetime. I have not lost focus of my dream to play Olympic softball. Even though I was devastated when I read that the IOC decided to remove the games!

It’s been almost two years since I saw Jenny Finch (my idol) on television during the home run derby for MLB. The words she spoke, as she expressed her sorrow for the loss of Olympic softball, went right through me and I shivered. I realized this terrible loss was real. 2012 would have been the first year I could qualify to play.... and now my dream could be shattered!

I asked my mom what could be done to change the minds of the IOC. She suggested that I start a petition to show the interest the world has for this sport. She said I could present this petition to the IOC and maybe, just maybe, they would change their minds. Maybe they could reinstate fast pitch softball for the 2016 Olympics!

So I ask you to sign my petition. Help me to show the IOC our interest. I have been in contact with Don Porter, president of the ISF, and he supports all efforts to reinstating Olympic Softball for 2016.  As a matter of fact, I just received an email from Bruce R. Wawrzyniak, Director of Communications at the ISF, and he has asked me to include a link to the ISF website on my page. They take the lead at returning softball to the Olympics and with all of us showing support to them, we have a chance. The IOC will be meeting in 2009, after the World Olympics, to vote on the games to be included in the 2016 Olympics. We were just one vote short for 2012, let’s not be short in 2016! I know that I am just one 13 year old girl with a dream, but I believe with your help, we can make a difference. That difference can make my dream come true.

With sincerest thanks for your support,
Jamie Gray

No comments: